Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Child Support Services Division



DC Agency Top Menu

Attorney General
Karl A. Racine
Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

$150 Pass Through

District of Columbia law allows up to $150 of a non-custodial parent’s (NCP) child support payment to “pass-through” directly to the custodial parent (CP) each month, for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cases.

Purpose of the $150 Pass-Through

  • To grant access to additional monies to children receiving TANF benefits
  • To encourage non-custodial parents to pay their monthly child support obligation on a consistent basis
  • To encourage non-custodial parents to have an on-going relationship with their children
  • To aid the District’s neediest children from living below the poverty line
  • To work in the best interest of the children and families of the District of Columbia

Frequently Asked Questions

How does the  Pass-Through Work?
The District of Columbia will provide additional income to IV-D customers who receive TANF benefits.  The new law allows up to $150 of a NCP’s child support payment to be distributed directly to the CP.  The pass-through payment is provided to the CP in addition to the TANF benefits.

Who does the Pass-Through apply to?
The pass-through applies to IV-D customers that are receiving TANF benefits with an established child support court order

How do I qualify for the Pass-Through?
You qualify for this incentive if you receive TANF benefits for a child support obligation with current support.

How does the Pass-Through benefit me?
The Pass-Through will benefit you by providing up to $150 in additional income to provide for the needs of the family.

Do I get the entire $150 as additional income?
You will only receive the entire $150 if your current monthly obligation amount is $150 or more and the NCP pays.

What time of the month will I receive my payment?
The payment will be disbursed after the payment has been received from the NCP.

Do I receive my payment if the non-custodial parent does not pay?
You will only receive the Pass-Through payment if the NCP pays their monthly obligation.

Will I receive the same amount each month?
No, your payment amount is based on your current monthly obligation amount and the amount the NCP pays.