Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Child Support Services Division



DC Agency Top Menu


-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Homeless Veterans Outreach Initiative

The Child Support Services Division (CSSD) has an initiative aimed at enhancing service to non-custodial parents (NCPs) who are homeless veterans of the United States Armed Forces and have active child support obligations or still owe child support arrears. 

Who is a Veteran?

A veteran is a person who has served in the active military, naval, or air services and been honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.  The United States Armed Forces are the overall unified military forces of the United States.  They consist of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and the National Coast Guard.

Who Determines Whether the Veteran is Homeless?

A veteran is homeless if he or she does not have a fixed address and/or adequate nighttime residence. Oftentimes, the veteran will have a temporary address at a publicly or privately operated shelter.

If I am a veteran how do I request services from CSSD?

You must take the following steps:

  • Be a veteran of any branch of the United States Armed Forces; and
  • Be an NCP with an active child support case or child support arrears ordered by a District of Columbia Court.

What proof must I provide that I am a Homeless Veteran and qualify for this Initiative?

  • Proof of Veteran Status — You must provide official documentation which can be obtained from the DC Office of Veterans Affairs or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Verification of Income Status — You must provide official documentation which can be obtained from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Proof of residency—current address
  • Proof of identification

Who do I provide this documentation to in CSSD?

You must come to the First Response Unit (FRU) in CSSD and sign in to meet with a FRU Specialist. You must provide a Statement of Order or Discharge Papers in order to be considered for this Initiative. The FRU will make copies of the documentation and look up your case in the District of Columbia Child Support Enforcement System. The FRU Specialist will review the case with you and determine whether you are eligible for a review and adjustment. If you are eligible, your case will be referred to the Enforcement Unit.

What is a Review and Adjustment Conference?

The Enforcement Unit conducts a review of your case and determines whether your child support order is eligible for a downward or upward adjustment in the amount of the child support order.

What qualifies me for an adjustment of my child support order?

Your child support order must differ by 15% or more upward or downward in order to qualify for an adjustment in your child support order.

How does CSSD obtain an adjustment of my child support order?

If you qualify for an adjustment, CSSD will file a Motion for Modification with the Superior Court of the District of Columbia and request that the child support order be modified to reflect the appropriate Child Support Guideline amount and your current circumstances.

What is the District of Columbia Child Support Guideline?

The formula set by these guidelines determines the monthly amount of child support for children whose parents are unmarried, separated, or divorced. The guideline calculator is an important tool to reduce child poverty, improve the self-sufficiency of single parent households, and provide for the economic well-being of children in the District.

Where can I get legal help?

The Washington Legal Aid Society can provide help with your child support case.  For help, visit or call (202) 628-1161. Legal Aid also handles housing, public benefits, and consumer cases. 
The Washington Legal Clinic can provide representation for veterans in the areas of veteran’s benefits, discharge upgrades, housing, public benefits, shelter and housing, street rights, consumer debt/credit and more.  For help, call (202) 328-5500 or visit

Are there other programs for which I may eligible?

Yes, please inquire about the following programs: Fresh Start Program, Partnership with the Department of Employment Services, Job Readiness Workshops and the Fathering Court Program.